Just the facts:
- 1 in 4 women will lose a baby. (www.verywell.com)
- Stillbirth results in the loss of a baby in 1 in 160 pregnancies (March of Dimes)
- Almost 9.2 million children die before they reach their fifth birthday. (www.who.int)
- Over 57,000 children under the age of 19 die every year in the United States. (www.aamft.org)
- Approximately 2,000 children are reported missing everyday. (www.aamft.org)
The repercussions of a loss of a baby or child:
- Couples who had a miscarriage were 22% more likely to end marriages or break up. (www.cnn.com)
- The loss of a child often can lead to depression, anxiety, stress, marital problems, risk of suicide, pain and guilt. (www.psychologytoday.com)
- Many people pull away from a family in which a death of a child has occurred. (www.psychology.com)
How you can help someone who has lost a baby or child:
- Listen to them.
- Remember their baby and acknowledge their loss.
- Bring them lunch or dinner.
- Go to doctor’s follow up appointments with them.
- Call them on their angelversary or the anniversary of their child’s passing.
How we have helped grieving families:
71 families have received keepsake bags with items
5 Canadian families have received keepsake bags
9 English families have received keepsake bags
6 Australian families have received keepsake bags
51 American families have received keepsake bags
90 babies have been acknowledged and remembered
5 children have been acknowledged and remembered